Smithston Asylum/ Poorhouse superceded the facility in Captain Street in 1879 and was built on ground just off Inverkip Road , A78, and received inmates in the year 1880. The building was also locally known as “The Palace of Inverkip”- so modern were the facilities it provided for the time.
Poorhouse records were lost and only the Asylum Warrants remain. Some of the original buildings still exist but are due for demolition. The name was changed after The National Health Service came into being to Ravenscraig Hospital and all patients remaining in 2017 were transferred to a new facility in 2017 adjacent to Inverclyde Royal Hospital in the grounds of the old Nurses Accommodation.
Smithston Poorhouse & Asylum Greenock
Price £10.00 +
To order Smithston Poorhouse & Asylum Greenock on CD please print the relevant order form, complete, sign and send it to the following address including payment for the correct amount depending upon your location and send to:-
Renfrewshire Family History Society,
c/o 38 Lubnaig Drive,
Please make all cheques payable to “Renfrewshire Family History Society”
Order form : PublicationsOrderForm (Acrobat file)