- As many of our members will know, in November last year Jim saw the completion of 7 years’ of hard work and research with the publication of his book, Paisley’s Fallen in the War 1914 – 1918. This book lists all of the Paisley men and women who lost their lives during the war and is a wonderful tribute to their ultimate sacrifice. The book may be loaned from Central Library in Paisley, or an online copy can be viewed at Paisley’s Fallen in the War 1914-18
- Inchinnan Historical Interest Group (IHIG) launch their latest project on 18th March, which focuses on the archaeological investigation at All Hallows Inchinnan. The launch takes place at Inchinnan Parish Church on 18th March, from 2pm until 4pm. Everyone is welcome. For more information, please contact the Group directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Some of you may find this video clip interesting – http://player.bfi.org.uk/film/watch-paisley-childrens-happy-hunting-ground-1929/ – it shows a group of children forming a ‘scrum’ outside the New Alex cinema, which used to be in Orr Street in Paisley, in 1929. This was a marketing ploy by the cinema – to film the children then encourage parents to come along to the cinema to try to spot their child on screen!
- Jim thought that this link – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-35612374 – might be of interest to some of you, concerning oak trees which were planted throughout the UK in memory of soldiers killed during the Battle of Verdun in WWI. If anyone has any knowledge about these trees having been planted in Scotland, would you please let the society know.
There are 2 films of Paisley on this site, Reference Numbers 2233 and 2761, which members may find interesting : http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2761
- Here is the website for the Catholic Parish Registers of Ireland – if you go to the map, you can click on it to zoom into counties, parishes and dioceses : http://registers.nli.ie/
- Well worth a visit – a recreation of World War One trenches at Pollok Park in Glasgow. For more information go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-33426385